Whether you are in the office or working remotely, there are many distractions that can derail your productivity. To set yourself up for success, we recommend that you follow the tips outlined in this blog. You might be surprised by how just a few simple adjustments to your workspaces can make a world of difference for your productivity.
Focus On What You Can Control
Your workspace is limited in its size, and in many cases, your office constraints will work against you. Some businesses have cubicles or an open floor plan, and depending on the approach, it could be designed to help you better interact with your coworkers. You might not be able to control the office layout, but you can control your desk space.
Do you keep a clean or messy desk? More clutter means less productivity. Make sure you have a system in place to keep your desk’s organization in check.
The temperature of your office can also factor into workplace productivity. Cornell University published a study that indicates a warmer office can improve typing speed by as much as 150 percent, all while reducing the amount of errors by 44 percent. The target range should be about 71º Fahrenheit.
Finally, consider the light levels in your office. Dimmer light can improve creative work, whereas brighter workspaces can increase analytical work. Natural light should be utilized whenever possible, as it can improve productivity and employee satisfaction. If natural light isn’t an option, we recommend you take breaks to get away from your screens from time to time.
It might be a bit of a depressing reality check, but we spend at least a quarter and up to a third of our lives at work. This can naturally take its toll on your body in ways you might not have anticipated. Productivity is directly linked to how well you feel, so you will want to keep your body and mind sharp to optimize your productivity. Let’s take a look at how you can do this, even from your office.
Get Up and Move
That’s right—it’s time to discuss desk-ercises. These will help you get your blood pumping a little bit while also stretching out your muscles. If possible, you can also take a short walk around the block or the parking lot, and take the stairs whenever possible. If you can’t break free of your desk, here are three exercises that can help to improve your comfort at work:
- Neck rolls – Relax and lean your head forward and slowly rotate in a circle for 10 seconds. Repeat it by doing it in the opposite direction.
- Chair squats – Stand up at your desk and just lower your body down until you almost reach your chair. Do this 10-15 times.
- Wrist and finger stretch – Place both hands on your desk with your palms down and your fingers pointed toward your body, lean slightly forward and hold for five seconds.
It’s also important to exercise your brain, especially if you are responsible for several tasks throughout the day that could be mentally draining you. Here are some ways you can refocus your mind:
- Meditate – The easiest way to meditate is to simply sit back in your chair, close your eyes for a couple of seconds, and focus on your breathing. Breathe in through your nose, counting to four, hold it four seconds, then breathe out to the same four-count. Hold for four seconds with no air in your lungs, then repeat.
- Change it up – Making small adjustments to your daily routine can make big differences in your mindset. You can try sitting in new places to get work done, shift your priorities around, or spend some time developing your networking skills. Breaking out of the routine can be a major way to transform your workday.
- Fundamental skill development – Practicing the fundamental skills of running a business can help you in your day-to-day tasks. Simple things like working on your memory, typing skills, software skills, or even communication skills, can all help shake things up a bit throughout the day.
Twintel knows that work can be stressful, but if you approach it mindfully and incorporate the above techniques, you can make for a more comfortable and productive existence. What are some of your favorite ways to make your workday more productive and enjoyable? Let us know in the comments.
Twintel has grown into an expansive, full team of IT services professionals, acting as the outsourced IT department of non-profits, small to mid-size businesses, and enterprise-level corporations in Orange County, across California, and nationally.
Today, it’s the strength and deep expertise of the Twintel team that drives positive outcomes for clients. Each of the support staff, technicians, and engineers works diligently each day to make sure that the companies served have the seamless, secure, and stable IT environments needed to allow them to pursue their organizational objectives.